Universally valued by men and women alike, teeth whitening (or bleaching) treatments are available to satisfy every budget, time frame and temperament. Whitening is not a permanent solution to discoloration and requires maintenance or “touch-ups” for a prolonged effect.
Bleaching vs. Whitening: What's the Difference?
The term “bleaching” is permitted to be used only when the teeth can be whitened beyond their natural colour. This applies strictly to products that contain bleach – typically hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide.
The term “whitening,” on the other hand, refers to restoring a tooth’s surface colour by removing dirt and debris. So any product that cleans (like a toothpaste) is technically considered a whitener. Of course, the term whitening sounds better than bleaching, so it is more frequently used – even when describing products that contain bleach.
Teeth whitening removes the stains and debris, leaving the enamel cracks open and exposed. Some of the cracks are quickly re-mineralized by saliva, while others are filled up again with organic debris.
Teeth Whitening Options
Two major teeth whitening options are available today.
- In-Office Whitening – Significant colour change in a short period of time is the major benefit of in-office whitening. This protocol involves the carefully controlled use of a relatively high-concentration peroxide gel, applied to the teeth by the dentist or trained technician after the gums have been protected with a paint-on rubber dam. Generally, the peroxide remains on the teeth for several 15 to 20 minute intervals that add up to an hour (at most). Those with particularly stubborn staining may be advised to return for one or more additional bleaching sessions, or may be asked to continue with a home-use whitening system.
- Professionally Dispensed Take-Home Whitening Kits – Many dentists are of the opinion that professionally dispensed take-home whitening kits can produce the best results over the long haul. Take-home kits incorporate an easy-to-use lower-concentration peroxide gel that remains on the teeth for an hour or longer (sometimes overnight). The lower the peroxide percentage, the longer it may safely remain on the teeth. The gel is applied to the teeth using custom-made bleaching trays that resemble mouth guards.
How White Can You Go? A Matter of Aesthetics
Teeth whitening results are subjective, varying considerably from person to person. Many are immediately delighted with their outcome, while others may be disappointed. Before you embark on any whitening treatment, ask your dentist for a realistic idea of the results you are likely to achieve and how long it should take to achieve them. Expectations play a major role in teeth whitening.
Teeth Whitening Risks
Teeth whitening treatments are considered to be safe when procedures are followed as directed. However, there are certain risks associated with bleaching that you should be aware of:
- Sensitivity: Bleaching can cause a temporary increase in sensitivity to temperature, pressure and touch. This is likeliest to occur during in-office whitening, where higher-concentration bleach is used. Some individuals experience spontaneous shooting pains (“zingers”) down the middle of their front teeth.
- Individuals at greatest risk for whitening sensitivity are those with gum recession, significant cracks in their teeth or leakage resulting from faulty restorations. It has also been reported that redheads, including those with no other risk factors, are at particular risk for tooth sensitivity and zingers.
- Whitening sensitivity lasts no longer than a day or two, but in some cases may persist up to a month. Some dentists recommend a toothpaste containing potassium nitrate for sensitive teeth.
- Gum irritation: Over half of those who use peroxide whiteners experience some degree of gum irritation resulting from the bleach concentration or from contact with the whitening trays. Such irritation typically lasts up to several days, dissipating after bleaching has stopped or the peroxide concentration lowered.
- Technicolor teeth: Restorations such as bonding, dental crowns or porcelain veneers are not affected by bleach and therefore maintain their default colour while the surrounding teeth are whitened. This results in what is frequently called “technicolor teeth.”
Maintaining Your Teeth Whitening Results
To extend the longevity of newly whitened teeth, dentists are likely to recommend:
- At-home follow-up or maintenance whitening – implemented immediately or performed as infrequently as once a year.
- Avoiding dark-coloured foods and beverages for at least a week after whitening.
- Whenever possible, sipping dark-coloured beverages with a straw.
- Practicing excellent oral hygiene – brushing and flossing after meals and at bedtime.
The worlds first pre-loaded whitening tray with blue fusion technology. Designed by World Leading Dentist Dr G. Favero & CEO Bryan J Christie.
- Megawhite are proud to offer their new highly advanced, quick and easy way to whitening your teeth.
- Megawhite is a non peroxide treatment. 100% Painfree with no Sensitivity. Safe and effective. No structure or Enamel damage. World Wide Exclusive Formula.
- Mega White perform an express laser teeth whitening treatment with the full procedure carried out in as little as 30 minutes, the Mega White teeth whitening experience is simple, safe, fast, and effective with a guaranteed improvement, some clients can achieve 4-10 shades whiter and brighter after 1st treatment.
- Cutting edge technology and 21st century equipment combined with the exclusive mega white whitening product leaves clients with a celebrity white smile in under 30 minutes, this professional treatment will instantly whiten your teeth!
- Rest assure you will be more than comfortable during your teeth whitening experience at Mega White.
- Treatment is quick, easy and painless with guaranteed results!
- Advanced Air Pocket Technology, 32 air pockets per inch
- Blue Catalyst Activator with Photo Initiator
- Soft comfortable and flexible Megawhite tray, one-size fits all
- Ergonomically designed with a greater depth for maximum coverage
- Made from the highest quality food gradeable materials
What is Megawhite Express?
Megawhite Express is a non-peroxide, 20 minute laser teeth whitening treatment that provides immediate results for clients. There is no structural or enamel change and the experience is painless. The Megawhite product is exclusive; no other product in the world contains its unique ingredients and measurements. Megawhite also meets and complies with all current legal requirements in Ireland, UK and around the world.
How does the Megawhite zero peroxide product work?
The main whitening and cleansing ingredient in Megawhites’ exclusive formula is sodium bicarbonate. It goes deep into the pores of the teeth – called the dentin and oxidises the molecules that make teeth appear yellow dark and stained. The Megawhite gum shield is filled with the Megawhite product and inserted into the mouth then the light is directed at the shield. Once the laser light hits the product, the formula becomes active. This releases oxygen that creates a pressure which pushes oxygen into the core of the tooth. The oxygen and cleansing agents combined with a high intensity laser light, turns the tooth’s inner surface from a brown/yellow colour to a white colour, without changing or damaging the structure of the tooth’s enamel. The Megawhite product also contains silicone to help the laser light travel around the entire mouth. A catalyst activator called photo initiator is also added to ensure the oxygen is released as quickly as possible.
What makes Megawhite different?
Many things separate Megawhite from other brands. The main difference is the Megawhite whitening gel; Megawhite holds the worldwide exclusive formula so no other product can compare.
Is Megawhite safe?
All the Megawhite ingredients are at food grade level and the product is completely safe. There is no peroxide or harsh chemicals. Clients will not experience any side effects such as sensitivity or gum sores. The Megawhite products have been carried out in hundreds of successful treatments across the world with no side effects.
Will the Megawhite process cause pain or sensitivity?
Although Megawhite causes no pain or sensitivity people with existing sensitivity , recently cracked teeth, abfractions (micro-cracks),open cavities, leaking filings, or other dental conditions that cause sensitivity may find that those conditions increase or prolong tooth sensitivity after the treatment, which can be treated by direct application of desensitising toothpaste.
Will Megawhite work for me?
Yes! Young or old, male or female, smoker or non-smoker, Megawhite will work for you. If your teeth and gums are healthy then we guarantee you will enjoy the benefits of the Megawhite whitening process. Its clinically impossible for your tooth colour not to change although please note that results vary from person to person; teeth cannot be whitened more than genetically possible.