AESTHETIC FILLINGS AND COLLAPSED BITE RESTORATION
Throughout the years, our teeth wear out. Although it is a natural process, in some cases, teeth tend to wear out unusually fast, causing loss of vertical dimension of occlusion, and leading to severe oral health problems, all of which affects one’s quality of life.
The essence of Collapsed Bite Restoration procedure is to restore natural bite function and jaw function, i.e. to restore the teeth to their natural heights, thus ensuring that the patients will be able to bite and chew normally.
Collapsed Bite Restoration is one of the most complicated procedures in dentistry. Its perfect execution requires diligence, accuracy, specific knowledge of therapeutic and cosmetic dentistry, as well as prosthetics. Patients looking to undergo collapsed bite restoration must be patient, because the treatment takes time, and as such, collaboration between the patient and the doctor plays a significant role.
- The loss of several teeth;
- Inadequate sealing of the whole set or part of the set of, resulting in excessive or inappropriate loading for the rest of the teeth;
- Gnashing one‘s teeth – patient grits tooth enamel from chewing or biting surfaces, causing waviness at first, and then the triangular-shaped surfaces become flat;
- Congenital weakness of teeth structure, causing the layers of tooth enamel to wear off unusually fast and leading to the loss of vertical dimension of occlusion;
- Gastrointestinal disorders, such as gastroesophageal reflux, when the stomach acids enter the mouth periodically. It affects teeth enamel chemically, causing it to become too porous and fragile, with the teeth becoming more sensitive such that regular chewing charges the tooth, and the enamel is lost;
- Untreated irregular bite causing inappropriate contact of teeth for a long time;
The loss of vertical dimension of occlusion is an issue associated with oral health, yet the sypmtoms appear on patients‘ faces mainly. As the teeth wears off, the position of lower jaw becomes irregular, therefore, the profile of patient‘s face changes – the person looks older, and the corners of the lips fall down. Due to constant saliva accumulation and moisture, pink wrinkles might be noticed in the corners of the lips. Also, the chin of the patient protrudes forward gradually, and the shortening of lower face height is noticed as well.
It is worthy to note that sypmtoms appearing on patient‘s face are not the only ones. There are other indicators signifying the loss of vertical dimension of occlusion. The patient might feel headaches in the temple area or pains in the area of lower temporomandibular joint, also tinnitus or digestion problems are possible. Loss of vertical dimension of occlusion also causes aesthetic problems – worn off teeth look unattractive, therefore the patient avoids smiling.
Collectively, these symptoms can make patients feel depressed, while affecting the quality of their life adversely. Although it is possible to live with worn off teeth, today‘s dentistry offers medical solutions and advanced treatments, which help patients to get back to their normal life.
THE ELEMENTS OF SUCCESSFUL COLLAPSED BITE RESTORATION PERFORMED IN OUR CLINIC:
- Experienced and Diligent Specialist: At Ashbourne Dental & Medical, Dovile Miskeliene is the lead consultant. Having specialized in Collapsed Bite Restoration for about three year, she puts her in-depth knowledge and experience garnered across therapeutic, cosmetic dentistry and prosthetic into practice. Her excellent skills, as well as the ability to combine various methods of treatment of every previously mentioned field of dentistry, have helped her achieve optimal results in restoring collapsed bite. Dr. D. Miskeliene also keeps her professional skills up-to-date by taking part in various seminars and trainings, where experts from Germany, Switzerland, Brazil, Italy etc. discuss the latest advancements in methods and techniques of CBR treatment.
- Several Treatment Methods: At Ashbourne Dental & Medical, worn off teeth are restored using methods of sealing; prosthetics; or the combination of both. To restore collapsed bite, the procedure is carried out through composites application using direct sealing or the so-called Free-Hand Technique. It could also be by In–Laboratory-made guidance, in accordance with waxing. The best method of treatment depends on the peculiarity of the patient‘s case.
- Care and Collaboration: At Ashbourne Dental & Medical, the patient‘s health is our top priority. Collapsed Bite Restoration takes time and collaboration between the patient and the doctor becomes very important. Dr. Dovile Miskeliene will provide full information on stages of treatment, as well as the recommendation of daily care between the periods of visiting the doctor.
- Patient Examination and Setting Out Treatment Plan
During the first visit, the doctor will examinate the patient‘s current state, to define the level of damage and consequently set out the plan of individual treatment. The numbers of visits to the specialist may vary based on chosen methods and techniques; required prepatatory procedures; and success of implementation of treatment.
- Implementation of Treatment
Since every case is distinct, every treatment plan is carried out differently. It is worthy to note that when the defects are small, worn off teeth and loss of vertical dimension of occlusion can be restored through composites by returning the regular contact between teeth and preventing them from wearing off. More difficult cases require micro-prosthetics, therefore dental venners or dental overlayers are used. If the loss of vertical dimension of occlucion is severe, the specialist will recommend a restoration restoration using full dental crowns.
In some cases where the patient has irregular bite and seeks restoration, orthodontic treatment must be performed. Usually, it involves the use of braces or other orthodontic devices after the worn off teeth are restored. If the orthodontic treatment is not necessary, worn off teeth are restored by prosthetics, fillings, or combination of both methods.
Since the Collapsed Bite Restoration requires amount of time and more than several visits to a specialist, patients must follow the doctors‘ orders in taking care of their teeth between the visits. In each case, recommandations are provided individualy.
- Follow-Up Care
To maintain the achieved results, it is necessary for the patient to ensure a proper daily dental care, including brushing the teeth twice daily and using a dental floss. Also, professional oral hygiene is recommended at least once within a year. Patients should fix an appointment with a dentist for a preventive dental check, to make sure the wearing off of the teeth is still controled.